AAC was founded in 1978 as a volunteer, non-profit organization bringing together on a national level local and regional search, support, and advocacy groups. It was incorporated in 1981 in the State of Missouri and was granted tax-exempt status in 1982.
For its operating expenses, the AAC relies on donations, grants, membership duesand income from book sales and special gift programs.
AAC Vilardi Award
The Emma Mae Vilardi Humanitarian Award is awarded at the National Conference to one person who has shown themselves to be one or more of the following:
- An Exemplary agent of change in the direction of the AAC's goals
- A community builder within the adoption reform community
- A steadfast and/or stand-out supporter of either the adoption reform community or the goals of AAC
Here is a list of who the awards have been awarded to since it's implementation.
- The AAC educates, advocates, and supports.
- The AAC sponsors regional and international conferences offering perspectives on personal and professional aspects of adoption. The workshops, seminars, and general sessions offered at our conferences provide the latest in research, public policy development, clinical practice, support, and adoption reform. AAC conference programs provide participants with unique opportunities to learn from one another and to present their own special areas of expertise before a larger audience.
For additional information on upcoming conferences, please contact the Conference Committee Chair.
- The AAC advocates on behalf of its members in all of its activities and projects. Legislative education is now a standard part of the AAC's program of reform, designed to help members to become legislative advocates in their respective states.
- The AAC has a book sales program of adoption-specific publications of interest to both lay readers and adoption professionals.
- All AAC members receive a subscription to The Decree, our award-winning quarterly publication that highlights adoption reform efforts and covers a wide range of adoption-related issues. In addition, members receive online and regional communications regarding pending legislation and discounts to AAC conferences and other events sponsored by our organization.
For membership information, please review the Membership section of our
website or contact our Membership Chairperson.